st: RE: Continuous to categorical variable

From   "Alicia Dowd" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Continuous to categorical variable
Date   Sat, 19 Oct 2002 17:16:49 -0400

I think you can do this using the generate and recode functions. The
user's manual gives various approaches to converting continuous to
categorical variables in section 28.1.2.

In your example I think you can:

generate O_RCcat=recode(O_RC,30,35,40)

where the numbers are the upper limits of the new categories.

(If you have anyone younger than 25 in your data you need to modify
this; as I have it here everyone less than or equal to 30 years will be
included in the category where 30 is the upper limit.)

To check the results including missing values, you could use :

tabulate O_RCcat, missing