st: hypothesis tests after svyprop

From   "Parke Wilde" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: hypothesis tests after svyprop
Date   Thu, 17 Oct 2002 10:59:01 -0400

After using the command svyprop (or svytab for a one-way contingency
table), I would like to test whether the cell entries equal a vector of
values that I supply.  It appears I may use svytest after svyprop, but I
fear the degrees of freedom will be wrong.  For example, if I am
studying the response frequencies for a categorical variable with 5
possible values, and I supply a vector of 5 frequencies for the null
hypothesis, I suspect svytest will ignore the fact that I really only
have 4 freely varying relative frequencies.

One option would be to use svytest to compute the test statistic, and
simply correct the degrees of freedom myself.  I could do this with a
simple chi-square test statistic, but I get lost in the design-corrected
F-tests used by the Stata svy procedures.

Two questions:
1) How may I conduct a hypothesis test with the correct degrees of
freedom, following svyprop or svytab?
2) What efficient syntax may I use to tell Stata my vector of null
hypothesis values?  Must I write out p1=p1-hat, p2=p2-hat, ..., or can I
simply tell Stata the vector of null values?

I checked Stata manual and web resources, but couldn't find answers.
Thanks for your help!

Parke

Parke Wilde
USDA/Economic Research Service