RE: st: sample selection with bivariate probit

From   "David Moore" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: sample selection with bivariate probit
Date   Thu, 26 Sep 2002 14:08:57 -0700

I've been thinking about this problem a little.  I first thought you could
estimate each version of the wage equation separately (i.e., with z=1 and
z=0).  Now, I think you have an even more complicated situation in that you
should estimate both equations simultaneously as a form of switching or
mover/stayer model with sample selection.  I'm not suggesting how you'd use
Stata for this purpose (though it would entail writing your own ml
routines), however, it seems to me that if you're going to take a stab at
it, you may as well go all the way.  Otherwise, I believe separate
estimation will provide consistent, if not fully efficient, estimates.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of
[email protected]
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2002 11:49 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: st: sample selection with bivariate probit

Dan, and fellow Stata users,

Thanks for the reply. I checked the heckman procedure from the Stata manual
( - I am a new Stata user). It clearly allows for one selection, which
implies one inverse Mill's ratio. Does it also allow for two selections? I
am interested in estimating the coefficients of the two selectivity terms
(referring to y1 and y2 where z=y1*y2) in earnings equations.

Ab