st: Re: generating a 0,1 variable which depends on lag values

From   "Alfonso Miranda" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: generating a 0,1 variable which depends on lag values
Date   Wed, 11 Sep 2002 10:14:43 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nisha Malhotra" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2002 11:33 PM
Subject: st: generating a 0,1 variable which depends on lag values

> Hi,
>
> I am facing a problem creating a binary variable.
> I have a large panel data set. The three important variables are Year,
Industry, Action taken by an industry ( variable that takes the value 0 if
no action was taken and 1 if one action was taken and 2 if two actions were
taken and so on )

> The data looks something like this
> Year  Industry  Action
> 90        A       0
> 91        A       0
> 92        A       2
> 93        A       0
> 90        B       1
> 91        B       0
> 92        B       0
> 93        B       1
>
> I want to create a binary variable say BB, which takes the value 0 if no
prior action(in the previous years) has been taken by an industry and 1 if
some positive action has been taken by an industry in the previous years.

> Year  Industry  Action   BB
> 90        A       0       0
> 91        A       0       0
> 92        A       2       1
> 93        A       0       1
> 90        B       1       1
> 91        B       0       1
> 92        B       0       1
> 93        B       1       1
>
> I would really appreciate if someone can help me out with this.
> Thanks in advance

> *   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/\

try:

.sort industry