Re: st: heckprob and rho

From   Antoine Terracol <>
Subject   Re: st: heckprob and rho
Date   Sat, 07 Sep 2002 18:39:04 +0200

Since -heckprob- assumes normality of the residuals, you should use -probit- instead of -logit-.
Of course the results will not be exactly the same as in -heckprob- since rho will be constrained to equal zero.

hope this helps,

M. Nizam Khan wrote:

Hi statausers,

I am trying to estimate "ever visit to health care provider" model with sample selection. My probit equation is visit=a+xb+u1 and selection equation is reported_sickness=c+zb+u2. In both cases, dependent variables are binary (1,0). Variables used for identification are: smoker, ADL, use of hygenic latrine.
These variables have very low correlation with "VISIT".
I used heckprob to estimate my model. What I would like to know: When rho is not significant, should I run a simple logit model and interpret my results based on that? I was expecting that when rho is not significant, coefficents and SE (of visit equation) in the simple logit procedure should not be different from heckprob procedure. In my case, I found it different. Any suggestion on this would be appreciated.

Nizam *
* For searches and help try: