st: question matrix

From   "Michael Dobbins" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: question matrix
Date   Mon, 02 Sep 2002 18:24:15 +0200

Dear Statalist contributors,
I am currently dealing with the following problem. I have a dataset with 86 variables (representing legislative proposal of the European Commission) and 17 objects - the 15 member states with the European PArliament and the Commission. The Cells represent the preferences of the actors (0-100) on the 86 issues.
I am trying to figure out how often the 17 actors have identical values, i.e. preferences across the 86 variables. Additionally, I must find out how many different political dimensions (e.g. pro vs. anti-integration, left-right, regulation-non-regulation) these preference configurations represent.
This probably involves the creation of 86 identical matrixes and dummy values of 1 meaning identical preferences and 0 non-identical preferences.
How can this be done in Stata? I have very little experience with the program or statistics in general.
Thanks a lot in advance.
yours
Michael