st: If.....

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: If.....
Date   Mon, 2 Sep 2002 11:02:54 +0100

Dear Statalisters

I need to set up an if loop but am having trouble with the syntax.  I want
to calculate the upper and lower 95% confidence intervals for the
standardised incidence rate of a specific cancer over several years.  There
are two ways of calculating these upper and lower bounds depending on how
many registered cases there were of that particular cancer with the
benchmark set at 500.  I have the total number of registrations per year
setup as a variable (total) in the datasheet as follows

year	total
1985	353
1986	427
1987	359
1988	363
1989	356
1990	364
1991	326
1992	318
1993	338
1994	323
1995	329
1996	318
1997	313
1998	318
1999	317
2000	309

I also have a matrix (reg) setup which contains one column containg the same
number as the variable total

reg[16,1]
total
r1    353
r2    427
r3    359
r4    363
r5    356
r6    364
r7    326
r8    318
r9    338
r10    323
r11    329
r12    318
r13    313
r14    318
r15    317
r16    309

What I need to know is how to open the if loop i.e.
if .....<500 {

Thank you very much for your time,

Christopher D Fergusson