Subject: st: Does your academic discipline use logit regressions with interaction terms?

From   Edward Norton <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Subject: st: Does your academic discipline use logit regressions with interaction terms?
Date   Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:53:43 -0400

Although applied economists often estimate interaction terms to infer how the effect of one
independent variable on the dependent variable depends on the magnitude of another independent
variable, most researchers misinterpret the coefficient in nonlinear models.  The magnitude of the
interaction effect does not equal the marginal effect of the interaction term, can be of opposite
sign, and its statistical significance is not calculated by standard software.  I have written a
paper with Chunrong Ai called "Interaction terms in nonlinear models" in which we present the correct
way to estimate the magnitude and standard errors of the interaction effect in nonlinear models,
including the widely used log transformation model with unknown error distribution.

You can find a copy of this working paper at www.unc.edu/the/THE_WPS.htm

Edward Norton
Associate Professor
UNC at Chapel Hill