Re: st: Count data problems

From   SamL <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Count data problems
Date   Tue, 20 Aug 2002 12:28:35 -0700 (PDT)

I don't know about the scaled decianve vs pearson deviance comparison, but
I don't think one can just reject a model because none of the explanatory
variables are significant.  It may be that in the dataset you have none of
the explanatory variables are really explanatory.  Rejecting a model just
because none of the coefficients are discernibly different from zero,
absent some strong theory, would seem to vitiate the value of statistical
analysis to reveal things we don't already know.  But, I don't know your
substantive area, so maybe there is some strong theory to guide you.

For what it's worth (hopefully, more than you are paying to get it).
Sam