st: Re: RE: RE: mapping a value from 2 variables

Subject   st: Re: RE: RE: mapping a value from 2 variables
Date   Wed, 24 Jul 2002 15:35:46 -0400

In trying to automate value label creation from a numeric and string var,
[email protected] wants to avoid an explicit loop over n for large
datasets.  Here is one approach that I think works

gen str1 cmd=""
replace cmd="label define mylab "+string(nvar)+char(34)+svar+char(34)+"
,modify"
outsheet cmd using cmd.do, nonames noquote
drop cmd

Then you can -run cmd-

This approach just builds a string variable that has the label define
commands and uses char(34) to insert quotes.  Of course, if you have
repetitive values of nvar you should first collapse the dataset down to one
obs for each nvar

Michael Blasnik