st: Re: Kernel density smoothing Nelson-Aalen and AIC after streg?

From   "Jannik Helweg-Larsen" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: Kernel density smoothing Nelson-Aalen and AIC after streg?
Date   Fri, 19 Jul 2002 22:30:40 +0200

Got this very nice response(thanks again!)from Margaret May-one of the
authors of the Lancet paper:

We used the ksm stata command to do kernel density smoothing of the
Nelson Aalen cumulative function (bandwidth =.40). The differentiation
was done point by point by calculating gradients. You may need to
smooth again to get a reasonable curve. The confidence intervals were
done using bias corrected bootstrap replicates.

We used stpm for the flexible parametric models which was written by
Patrick Royston - you can download this from stata website. stpm gives
the AIC as part of the estimates list. In general you can work out the
AIC from the log-likelihood and the number of parameters, n (AIC =
-2loglikelihood + 2n.)

We hope to publish a methodological paper on this work soon.

Best wishes

Margaret May