st: RE: Panel data manipulation question

From   "Paul Seed" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Panel data manipulation question
Date   Wed, 17 Jul 2002 11:40:02 +0100

Taggert J Brooks' problem <>
can be approached in a different way that gets round
the missing data / incomplete panel issue.

> I have a panel data set on individual
> countries and I
> want to create a new variable.  The variable is going to be
> the ratio of a
> variable I already have in my dataset, we'll call it P.  I
> want to create a
> variable we'll call X where x=p/p(i==72).  That is to say I
> want to deflate
> all the values of p, by the value of p for country 72, for
> the corresponding
> year.

Assume the data is saved in myfile.dat.

use country year p using myfile if country == 72, clear
drop country
rename p p72
mmerge year using myfile , type(1:n)
gen x = p/p72

x will be missing only if p72 == 0, p ==. or p72 == .

Paul Seed
Medical Statistician
Wolfson Institute of Preventive Medicine
Charterhouse Square
London EC1M  6BQ
(020) (+44) 7882 6298
fax 7882 6270