Re: st: RE: multinomial probit

From   Christopher Auld <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: multinomial probit
Date   Tue, 9 Jul 2002 10:26:41 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Nick Cox wrote:

> The most obvious reason why MNP doesn't exist in Stata is technical,
> centring on calculation of the needed multivariate normal probabilities.
> Greene's text on econometrics provides one sobering account,
> which is probably more familiar to you than it is to me.

Chris Ferrall has written a Stata program to calculate
rectangle probabilities under the multivariate normal
distribution which is available off this page:

http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/pub/faculty/ferrall/stata/readme.html

It should be easy to write a wrapper to do MNP using
this subroutine.  But, as per Nick's comments, it is
probably better to turn to a lower level language to
estimate such a computationally demanding model.

Cheers,

Chris Auld
Department of Economics
University of Calgary