st: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Re: RE: may not use time-series operators on string variables

From   Lee Sieswerda <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Re: RE: may not use time-series operators on string variables
Date   Thu, 4 Jul 2002 18:11:10 -0400

I agree generally with Nick C. that the NOIR scheme is largely a
classificatory scheme with limited statistical applicability. In particular,
it seems primarily a useful way to convey the idea of precision of
measurement. Ironically, it is a classification scheme that suffers from the
same problem that it intends to illuminate. After all, many (or even most)
variables seem to approach the boundaries of the NOIR categories and blur
the differences between them.

Nevertheless, I think the NOIR classification, or something like it, could
provide some element of convenience in data analysis. Knowing at least
whether a variable is discrete or continuous allows programmers to write
Stata commands that are able to choose more intelligent defaults.

For example, suppose you have two binary variables and you want to graph
their relationship. You would probably never want a graph with just four
points in the corners, which is what you'd get in Stata as the default
(graph var1 var2). Rather, you would almost always want a bar graph with the
mean of the one variable (i.e., the proportion or percentage of ones)
stratified by the two categories of the other. Not that Stata is incapable
of creating such a graph, or that its a lot more typing in this simple case,
but one could imagine more complicated cases where the savings would be
greater. If you could specify the variables as nominal/discrete/factor, then
that information could be used by Stata programmers to select intelligent
defaults. (Not that one would be want to be restricted to the new default -
see NJC on the dangers of dogmatism - but it would perhaps be more
convenient for the majority of cases.)

The R language seems to have a good implementation of this idea.

So while not a critical issue in any way, I see three advantages to
incorporating a statistically intelligent variable type characteristic:
1. it would be a convenient tool for programmers,
2. it almost certainly would reduce the overall amount of typing in the
Stata community, especially the use of the PageUp key, and
3. it might be a little less frustrating for beginners.

And while Nick C. may disparage 3D pie charts, I have found a good use for
them. Have you ever tried to explain a Nerf frisbee to someone overseas by
email? Well, 3D pie charts from silly corporate earnings reports provide the
perfect model. And because they sum to 100%, the perfection of the model is
completely unaffected by any overinflation (by, say, 4 billion US dollars)
of earnings.

Lee

Lee Sieswerda, Epidemiologist
Thunder Bay District Health Unit