Re: st: has anyone used TDA?

From   "Markus Gangl" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: has anyone used TDA?
Date   Tue, 11 Jun 2002 14:52:36 +0200

Pam,

TDA is capable of both reading and writing Stata 6 data files [my
current version dates back to about summer last year]. Basically, it
should be easy for you to get the TDA data into Stata format if you
put the following commands into any text editor:

# load TDA system file;
rsys = [filename TDA system file];
# write Stata 6.0 .dta file;
wstata () = [filename];

Save this as a plain text document, then call TDA using

tda cf = [name of batch file]

in the MS-DOS editor window. You should get a log display on the
screen that informs you about the process.

Things might be more complicated if you original TDA file is either
a plain ASCII file or a TDA archive file. In the first case, however,
there is no need to transform the data because you could use
Stata to read the ASCII file directly. In the second case, things will
be a bit more complicated, and you might want to check the TDA
documentation at http://steinhaus.stat.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/tda.html
for details about using the programme to extract selected variables
from archive data (chapter 2.10 in the manuals).

Hope this helps,
Markus

____________________________________

Markus Gangl