st: Re: Multinomial probit

From   "Brendan Cushing-Daniels" <CushingDanielsB@GAO.GOV>
To   <>
Subject   st: Re: Multinomial probit
Date   Mon, 10 Jun 2002 14:58:38 -0400

The only thing I would add to this is that there have been some advances
made in this area using simulations.  Dan McFadden and Paul Ruud, UC
Berkeley and Hajivassiliou, London School of Economics, have done some
work here.  Last I checked (a couple of years ago), Hajivassiliou's web
page at LSE had some downloadable programs, too.

>>> 06/10/02 09:50AM >>>
I don't think you'll find much.  There's really not much market for
multinomial probit, because it's computationally infeasible for more
three outcomes, and hard even to do three.  The reason is that its
likelihood is a (number of outcomes-1)-variate normal.  It's nice in
that it
doesn't require the IIA assumption of multinomial logit, so perhaps
with a three-outcome problem who REALLY worried about IIA (and didn't
to use nested logit) has written something.  Actually, if you have the
little Stata book on ML programming, you could probably do a quick
three-outcome model by cribbing their bivariate probit example,
the normal stuff with bivariate normal.  It's not hard to write down,
hard for the computer to calculate.  You might also see Daganzo's book
probit for more on why not to do it.   EJ

Eric R. Jensen
Professor of  Economics
Box 8795, College of William and Mary
Williamsburg, VA 23187-8795