The Stata 8 installation requires uncompress, but on Mandrake 8,
uncompress is not installed. How do I install it?
Stata 8 installation problems with Mandrake 8
Kevin S. Turner, StataCorp
Linux Mandrake 8, by default, does not install the compress or
uncompress utilities. These are required for the Stata 8 installation
to run properly, and thankfully, are easily added to Mandrake.
To install compress and uncompress, follow these steps:
- Locate the Software Manager program. If you did a typical install, you
should find an icon on the desktop for "Software Manager". If you see
the icon, clicking it will launch the application. Note: You will
have to be root to use the Software Manager.
- After the Software Manager has loaded, a window with many panes should
appear. (If a smaller dialog appears first, called "Configure a
Source?", just click No.) In the upper-left of the Software Manager
window you should see a text field for Find. Make sure the
Installable Tab (directly above Find text field) is selected and not
the Installed tab. Type compress into the text field and click
- If all goes well, you should see an entry for
in the results window, under the package column.
- Click the square check-box located to the left of
It should visibly change to a yellow checkmark if you click it.
- Once the ncompress package is checked, click
Install/Remove in the extreme upper-left corner of the Software
- The Software Manager will display a dialog asking you to insert the
Mandrake CD1 Core System CD into the CD drive. Do so, and then click
- Follow the installation wizard until it completes. When it is done,
click Quit to clear the wizard, and then close the Software
- From this point, you can rerun the installation from the Stata 8 CD.
Stata for Windows
Stata for Unix
Stata for Mac