Re: st: Statalist in a forum format

Subject   Re: st: Statalist in a forum format
Date   Tue, 8 Apr 2014 09:10:37 -0500

Thanks to those who replied ---

Nick, I see now that options like SO/CV were considered, and you
present some good arguments why they don't quite work like statalist.

Marcello, thanks for giving me the compliment of an expert sample
manipulator :) ! I could definitely post this on statalist.org, but it
would be tucked under "Using the forum" where it may or may not have
generated the discussion. Carrying it on in both formats is difficult
to keep track of. As the trad statalist moderator, have you seen
people signing off the list before it officially closes?

Richard, I don't think StackExchange is more difficult to use than any
other forum, but Nick and Sergiy have disagreed. So I lost here 1:2.
There's more stuff floating around on your screen, but most of this
stuff is useful and functional, to the extent that I got so used to it
that the lighter functionality of statalist.org forum did not seem
sufficient to me anymore. It's akin to running models with factor
variables using -xi- vs. the current implementation that achieves the
same plus supports -margins-.

Sergiy, I agree that hanging out with nice people is cool, and most
users would get their questions answered by these nice people in
whatever format, but I have been arguing for functionality and
fit-for-purpose. The developers time is an interesting question, and
that's up to Stata Corp to decide upon. To some extent, though, a
better site for the forum might mean that the users would have to
spend less time searching for a reliable answer, but I am not a
usability expert to provide any substantiated evidence to support
this.

-- Stas Kolenikov, PhD, PStat (ASA, SSC)
-- Principal Survey Scientist, Abt SRBI
-- Opinions stated in this email are mine only, and do not reflect the
position of my employer
-- http://stas.kolenikov.name