Re: st: merge bilateral panel data

From   Alfonso Sánchez-Peñalver <[email protected]>
To   Stata List <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: merge bilateral panel data
Date   Thu, 3 Apr 2014 16:56:41 -0400

On your first dataset, does the reporter/year pair provide a unique observation? Also, what version of Stata are you using, because if its prior to 11 the syntax is different. Ill assume that you are using Stata 11 or later, and that the reporter/year pair provides a unique observation in the first dataset.

First have both datasets sorted by reporter year (sort reporter year). Let us call dataset 1 ds1, and dataset 2 ds2. Have ds1 in memory, i.e. open in Stata. The command you want is

merge 1:m reporter year using ds2

Let me know if that works. Best,

Alfonso Sánchez-Peñalver, PhD

Visiting Assistant Professor