Re: st: Imposing Confidence Intervals on LOWESS within a scatter plot.

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Imposing Confidence Intervals on LOWESS within a scatter plot.
Date   Mon, 31 Mar 2014 17:41:21 +0100

If you consider how -lowess- and -twoway lowess- work, the absence of
confidence intervals should be completely unsurprising. It's not a
once and for all model fitting procedure, but iterative smoothing
based on many model fits.

There is no doubt scope to bootstrap your way to something, but that
would not be trivial. For example, the use of overlapping windows
imposes a dependence structure, quite apart from whatever the model is
that is supposedly being fitted.

My own view is that it is best to regard -lowess- as a descriptive or
exploratory procedure. More machinery is available with e.g.
fractional polynomial or spline regressions.