Re: st: Using version control software with Stata

From   Jeph Herrin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Using version control software with Stata
Date   Fri, 28 Mar 2014 16:54:12 -0400

This may be too crude for your purposes, but I do the following. At the top of every do-file I put two lines

 getnow
 copy <thisdofile>.do copies/<thisdofile>.$now.do, replace

-getnow- is just a personal -ado- that stores the current date and time in a global -now- in an OS-friendly format (eg, 2014.MM.DD.hh.mm). Thus, every time a do file is run, it makes a copy of itself with a time stamp. This is not proper version control, but it does leave a trail of every do file I've ever run. <copies> is usually a local subdirectory, but it could obviously be set up with a global as well.

This could be extended to ado files, I'd think.

I do end up with zillions of do files, but text storage is cheap.

hth,
Jeph