st: Re: Creating a Peer-Variable excluding the focal entity

From   Houdou Basse Mama <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: Creating a Peer-Variable excluding the focal entity
Date   Wed, 26 Mar 2014 16:22:13 +0100 (CET)

Thanks Nick!
Sorry, my previous post contains a typo: I mean sector #1 NOT sector #2.

Corrected statement: The peers for firm 1 are firms 2 and 3; the peers for firms 2 are 1 and 3 while the peers for company 3 are 1 and 2. Actually, companies 1, 2 and 3 are belonging to the same industry (sector #1). So, as an example the average "visibility" of the peers during the year 2009 for Firm 1 is equal to the average of 4.6 (firm 2) and 4.8 (firm 3).
A tentative definition of the word peer I use in my question is: the other firms in the same industry (i.e. sector) at the same time period.

Thanks and a nice evening
Houdou

----- Ursprüngliche Mail -----
Von: "Houdou Basse Mama" <[email protected]>
An: [email protected]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 26. März 2014 15:46:20
Betreff: Re: Creating a Peer-Variable excluding the focal entity

Dear Nick
I have no pretention to compete. In contrast, I am searching for guidance.
I computed manually (in Excel) the 4.7 as the mean of 4.6 and 4.8 that respectively pertain to firm 2 and 3 for the year 2009. Both firms 2 and 3 belong to sector (industry) #2. My question is: Can a Stata algorithm help me efficiently perform this task for a broader sample?
I am sorry for the misunderstanding if you feel like your guidance to be misused.

Best
Houdou