Re: st: sem mediation analysis - categorial mediator

From   William Buchanan <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: sem mediation analysis - categorial mediator
Date   Wed, 19 Mar 2014 12:30:45 -0500

The big problem with nominal/ordinal mediators in SEM is related to the scaling and interpretation of the path coefficients that are estimated and their comparability to the other coefficients in the model.  Mplus offers two different solutions, but the underlying premise is generally the same for both and involves a latent indicator that represents the continuous probability for membership in the different levels/categories of the observed mediator.  If you create a latent indicator for your mediator you should be in better shape, but Stata 12 only offers ADF as an estimator for categorical DV.  If you have access to Stata 13, you could specify the model using the appropriate GLM link and family functions to better estimate the model parameters.

Also, if you only have a the mediator between the IV and DV your path coefficient from the mediator to the DV will be biased.  Think of it in the same context as instrumental variables where you need an additional exogeneous variable to identify the model and deal with the endogeneity problem.

HTH,
Billy

Sent from my iPhone