Re: st: sem mediation analysis - categorial mediator

From   John Antonakis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: sem mediation analysis - categorial mediator
Date   Wed, 19 Mar 2014 08:51:02 +0100

Hi:

If your mediator is endogenous, which it probably is, then you need to use an instrumental variable estimator that can handle the type of model you have. -sem- or -gsem- can do this for you. If you model two "discrete" equations where the disturbances are assumed to be orthogonal, the model is potentially misspecified.

Check out -cmp-, available from -ssc-; it can handle multinomials as mediators (multinomial probit in fact, that does not differ much from logistic).

Else (not a good thing to say here), Mplus can handle such models with the WLSMV estimator:

Muthén, B. O., du Toit, S. H. C., & Spisic, D. in press. Robust inference using weighted least squares and quadratic estimating equations in latent variable modeling with categorical and continuous outcomes. Psychometrika.

HTH,
J.

John Antonakis
Professor of Organizational Behavior