st: Selecting only certain labels for categorical variable in bar graph

From   Gilad Isaacs <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Selecting only certain labels for categorical variable in bar graph
Date   Tue, 18 Mar 2014 12:25:43 +0200

Hi,

First, thanks to Nick for answering a previous question of mine (I
don't know how to respond to that particular thread).

I am graphing a stacked bar graph of panel data, it is for the years
1970 - 2012, and it is the foreign exchange reserves for 10 countries.
I've done the following:

xtset year

graph bar reserve_per_world_GDP, over(countryname) over(year,
label(labsize(small) angle(60))) asyvars stack legend(on size(small)
col(4) symysize(1) symxsize(3))

It all works fine. However, the year labels: 1970, 1971, 1972 etc. on
the "x" axis, i.e. for the categorical variable "year", are
overlapping with one another. I'd like to be able to able to display
only every second year, like with a normal graph which would use
xlabel(1970(2)2012), or to space the bars further apart. If such a
option exists I'm sure it goes in the over(year...) command but I
don't know what the command is.

(Even if I make the year labels vertical, i.e. angle(90), they still
touch each other)

Also, is there a good website that lists all the commands that can be
used with "over"?

Thanks!

Gilad