st: Calculating marginal effects in nonlinear models

From   Boon Han Koh <[email protected]>
To   Statalist Help <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Calculating marginal effects in nonlinear models
Date   Fri, 14 Mar 2014 03:45:00 +0000

Hi Stata users,

I am interested in calculated marginal effects after a probit regression:
Pr(success) = \beta_0 + \beta_1 X1 + \beta_2 X2 + \beta_3 X3

Where X1, X2 and X3 are dummy variables corresponding to treatments in the experiment.

The marginal effect I am interested in is:
\phi( \beta_1 + \beta_2 + \beta_0 ) - \phi( \beta_0 )

In other words, I want to test the joint marginal effect of treatment 1 + 2 relative to the base treatment, evaluated at \beta_3 = 0. For simplicity we can assume that there are no other covariates in the model.

How can I use the -margins- command to achieve this? I know that I can use the "at()" to specify \beta_3 = 0, but I'm not sure how to get Stata to specifically give me the joint marginal effect of \beta_1 + \beta_2. In other words, the difference in predicted probabilities between the baseline and the case where X1 AND X2 = 1.

Regards,
Boon Han