st: Using SEM for a multi-level SUREG

From   Robert Kraut <[email protected]>
To   stata <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Using SEM for a multi-level SUREG
Date   Thu, 13 Mar 2014 13:37:02 -0400

I'm trying to fit a regression model that is a combination of a lagged dependent variable regression, seemingly unrelated regression and a multi-level repeated measures design.

Each respondent completed a questionnaire three times and I have behavioral data about communication surrounding each questionnaire administration. I am predicting several psychological outcome variables-- social support (csupport), loneliness (clone) and satisfaction with life cswl).

The independent variables are some demographics (age, male), the lagged dependent variables (lag_csupport, lag_clone & lag_cswl) and the amount of communication the respondent received in the month prior to a survey administration (comin & prepackagedin)

If the DVs were independent, I would model each dependent variable as a repeated-measures lagged dependent variable regression with multiple observations per respondent using the xtreg command:

   xtset (respondid)
   xtreg csupport lag_csupport male age comin prepackagedin
   xtreg clone lag_clone  male age comin prepackagedin
   xtreg cswl lag_cswl male age comin prepackagedin

However, the dependent variables and the lagged variables are moderately correlated with each other. Therefore, SUREG seems appropriate.

   sureg (csupport lag_csupport male age comout comin prepackagedout
   prepackagedin)  (clone lag_clone male age comout  comin
   prepackagedout prepackagedin)  (cswl lag_cswl male age comout  comin
   prepackagedout prepackagedin)

However, the SUREG command can't accommodate multiple observations per respondent.

Since you can use the SEM and GSEM commands to reproduce SUREG modeling and multilevel models, I thought I'd try to combine them:

The SEM equivalent of the SUREG command seems to work fine:

   sem ( csupport <- lag_csupport male age  comin prepackagedin ) (
   clone <- lag_clone male age  comin prepackagedin ) ( cswl <-
   lag_cswl male age  comin prepackagedin ), cov(e.csupport*e.clone)
   cov(e.csupport*e.cswl) cov(e.clone*e.cswl)

However, the equivalent GSEM command including respondid as the nesting variable doesn't converge after a 1000 iterations.

   gsem ( csupport <- lag_csupport male age  comin prepackagedin
   M1[respondid]) ( clone <- lag_clone male age comin prepackagedin
   M1[respondid]) ( cswl <- lag_cswl male age  comin prepackagedin
   M1[respondid]), cov(e.csupport*e.clone) cov(e.csupport*e.cswl)
   cov(e.clone*e.cswl)

Do you have any suggestions about how to analyze this data?

bob kraut

--
Robert Kraut
Herbert A Simon Professor of Human-Computer Interaction