st: rescale coordinates using shp2dta, and point order using spmap

From   Pablo Bonilla <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: rescale coordinates using shp2dta, and point order using spmap
Date   Mon, 10 Mar 2014 11:05:35 -0400

Dear Statalist,

I am working on producing poverty maps for several countries using the
commands -shp2dta- and -spmap- and I have few questions about it.

1.      We understand that -spmap- is quite compatible with the
dataset exported by -shp2dta-, but the original coordinates are
already rescaled in order to have useful values for Stata. However,
could you tell me how to scale back those values in order to have real
geographical coordinates?

2.      When -spmap- uses the _ID, _X, and _Y variables, how does
Stata know the right way to connect the coordinates to graph the dots?
In other words, how does Stata know the point order do connect the
points?

Thank you so much for your help.

Best,

--