Re: st: Goodness of Fit Measure for Generalized Linear Models with Adjustment for the Number of Parameters

From   Roberto Liebscher <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Goodness of Fit Measure for Generalized Linear Models with Adjustment for the Number of Parameters
Date   Mon, 10 Mar 2014 09:44:24 +0100

Thanks, Nick. Clearly a R-squared from an OLS model is not comparable with a R-squared from a GLM as computed in the before mentioned way. I understand your point that for the purpose of comparing non-nested models information criteria seem preferable in this case. However, I am not a big fan of information criteria because contrary to R-squared they do not offer an intuitive understanding. The correlation between predicted and actual values adjusted for the number of parameters is easier to grasp than minus two times the log likelihood plus two times the number of parameters. When I state the adjusted R-squared with the number of observations and parameters in the model the reader can easily backout the "initial" R-squared. Especially when I fit different dependent variables to the same model and report the results in one table this procedure is (at least for me) easier to understand and allow for the comparison of these models with different endogenous variables. But I got your point that this is somewhat a stretch to avoid using AIC or BIC.

--
Roberto Liebscher
Catholic University of Eichstaett-Ingolstadt