RE: st: Posthoc power analysis for linear mixed effect model

From   Lance Erickson <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Posthoc power analysis for linear mixed effect model
Date   Fri, 7 Mar 2014 20:58:39 +0000

Jeph,

Is the content at this link to the UCLA help pages (http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/code/simulate.htm) a reasonable example of the approach you take? I'm referring to the first of the two examples they show.

By '"known" true value' do you mean the coefficients estimated from the existing data?

Thanks,
Lance

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Jeph Herrin
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2014 1:29 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Posthoc power analysis for linear mixed effect model

Generally, I usually do these using simulation.  That is, simulate a large number of datasets similar to the one you have but with values generated by a random process based on a "known" true value. Then to see how much power the model has, calculate the proportion of datasets where the model rejects the null hypothesis. -xtmixed- will take a while to run on all of the datasets, but it's not too bad if you only have one effect you want to estimate the power to detect.

hth,
Jeph