RE: st: multicollinearity stcox

From   "DeMichele, Matthew" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: multicollinearity stcox
Date   Fri, 7 Mar 2014 06:07:04 -0500

Thanks for the direction Steve. I'll consult these sources.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Steve Samuels
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2014 10:37 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: multicollinearity stcox

Mathew:

Unfortunately, the VIFs computed with -collin- assume that the technique
is OLS, Also, -collin- can't handle time-varying covariates. I believe
that instability indices should be based on the partial-likelihood
information matrix; see, e.g. Hill et al. (2003); Lee and Weisfield
(1996, which I've not read).

John Hendrickx's -perturb- (SSC) can empirically assess ill-conditioning
in the Cox model

To handle collinear variables, I'd suggest a variable reduction
technique like the LASSO. (Tibshirani, 2011). Unfortunately Stata has no
LASSO for the Cox model, but you can find one in R's package penalized
"L1 (lasso and fused lasso) and L2 (ridge) penalized estimation in GLMs
and in the Cox model" (Goeman, 2010) Frank Harrell (2001) also has a
section on variable selection and reduction.