Re: st: error message Stata13 - file corrupt

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: error message Stata13 - file corrupt
Date   Tue, 4 Mar 2014 14:55:29 +0000

We really can't do that on this information. This is on a par with
"the boiler in my house is not working properly; anyone know why?".

A wild possibility is that you don't have a Stata data file at all,
but as you are telling us nothing precise about the file, speculation
can't help. But I would be surprised at the error message you got if
this is the case.

You should go back upstream and find out more about where the data
file comes from, what produced it, etc. Making precise which Stata you
are using and what Stata produced the file might help, but on the face
of it some difference in Statas used is not the problem at all.

Perhaps it got corrupted in email to you. Perhaps you are interacting
with people who are working with corrupted software. We can't say.

It's just possible that showing us (some of the) results from
-hexdump- might give someone a clue.

On the whole, this kind of problem is best sent to tech support. They
will probably not be able to help much unless you can send them the
file.