Re: st: Regression and Looping

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Regression and Looping
Date   Sun, 2 Mar 2014 23:20:19 +0000

This sounds confused. -ID- as e.g. "01Jan03" could not be the result
of applying -string()- to a numeric variable unless you also specified
a date format. In any case, if you have an integer date variable, it
should not need conversion to string for this purpose.

That said, this sounds like some misunderstanding of your data.

I tend to use -statsby- for this kind of exercise. Here is a silly example:

. webuse grunfeld, clear

. statsby a0=_b[_cons] a1=_b[mvalue] , by(year) : regress invest mvalue
(running regress on estimation sample)

In your case it sounds as if you just should try

statsby a0=_b[_cons] a1=_b[return_m] , by(dt) : regress return_p return_m