Re: st: Propensity Score Matching Between 3 Groups

From   Alfonso Sánchez-Peñalver <alfonso.statalist@gmail.com>
To   Stata List <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   Re: st: Propensity Score Matching Between 3 Groups
Date   Thu, 27 Feb 2014 19:09:12 -0500

Hi,

I would like to add something more even though propensity matching is not really my area of expertise, but I would like to add to the estimation of the probability of being treated.

For the estimation of the probability of treatment a multinomial (probit or logit) estimation would not be entirely appropriate. The reason is that, as Adam indicates, the probability of intervention for the people in Group C is zero. However, the information on the observed variables for the people of Group C can be useful to model the probability of treatment if we don’t know whether a person we select lives or not in a treatment area. Notice that the treatment selection process is really a 2-step selection:

1. You have to belong to a treatment area, and
2. given that you belong to treatment area, then you have to be selected for treatment.

This can be modeled with a nested logit model where there are two nests (in treatment area, not in treatment area) where only the first nest has two more branches (treated, not treated). It can also be modeled with a Heckman sample selection probit model, where the sample selection probit part is whether the individual belongs to a treatment area, and the final probit is whether the person is selected for treatment or not. I personally prefer the nested logit approach, but that may be just me.

Best,

Alfonso Sánchez-Peñalver, PhD

Visiting Assistant Professor
Suffolk University