st: Table command - semi-concise

From   "Allan Reese (Cefas)" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Table command - semi-concise
Date   Thu, 30 Jan 2014 09:38:23 +0000

Help for the table command indicates "concise specifies that rows with all missing entries not be displayed."  This seems true for row and column variables in the var list, and works with one superrowvar.  But add a second superrowvar and all combinations of the superrowvars now appear.

sysuse auto
table make rep78, by(for) concise
table make rep78, by(for head) concise

The second example has rows for foreign cars with 4.0/4.5/5.0 inches headroom even though there are no makes.  My current example is a table of statistics by firms by county and country.  It's rather disconcerting to have all the counties listed under each country, when each occurs in just one country.  (One work round is to concatenate country and county into one variable; another that's possible for me as there are just two countries is to make two tables.)

To me it's a borderline bug, and an opportunity to make the output smarter.  The superrowvars should not be output until there's a row with values.
Allan