Re: st: interval data as independent variable

Subject   Re: st: interval data as independent variable
Date   Wed, 29 Jan 2014 17:27:55 -0500

Tobias:

You have only one good choice: convert the interval variable to a continuous one by scoring  x  = interval midpoint value. Then you can fit regressions models, e.g. by using -fp- to control for "x". There should be little loss in precision compared to having the original, ungrouped, measurements.

 -intreg- has a strong assumption of a normal distribution for the random part of the regression.  The contributed command -intcens- by Jamie Griffin (from SSC) will fit a variety of  distributions to positive interval censored data. To use the command, subtract off the minimum value from your dependent variable from each observation, so that the dependent variable starts at zero.

I am curious about the measurement process that produced such unusual intervals.

Steve
[email protected]