st: RE: xtoverid error: internal reestimation of eqn differs from original

Subject   st: RE: xtoverid error: internal reestimation of eqn differs from original
Date   Wed, 22 Jan 2014 20:16:10 +0000

Sezer,

Strictly speaking, my suggestion isn't that collinearity is causing the internal reestimation to vary from the original estimation.  Rather, it's how Stata's official xthtaylor or xtivreg handles the collinearity vs. how the internal reestimation by xtoverid (using ivreg2) handles it.

If there is perfect collinearity, Stata estimators will typically drop enough regressors or instruments to make the collinearity go away.  But which of the collinear regressors get dropped can vary.  And this can make the estimated coefficients vary even though, in some sense, it's the same model.

If you look at the internal estimation results by ivreg2 that xtoverid,noi reports, you should see at the bottom of the main output whether ivreg2 is dropping any collinear regressors or instruments.  You won't be able to easily map the ones that are being dropped to your dataset, because xtoverid uses temporary variables, but it should at least be a good clue to what is going on.

HTH,
Mark

> I was wondering if this problem was due to unbalanced nature of the panel I
> was using. If so what other  test can be executed to test over identification
> restrictions in an unbalanced panel.
> If collinearity isn't the problem of the error, can  xtoverid, noi test results be
> trusted ?
>

> I work wiht Stata 12 and latest version of xtoverid is installed.
>
> Thanks all in advance,
> Sezer Alcan

-----
Sunday Times Scottish University of the Year 2011-2013
Top in the UK for student experience
Fourth university in the UK and top in Scotland (National Student Survey 2012)

We invite research leaders and ambitious early career researchers to
join us in leading and driving research in key inter-disciplinary themes.
Please see www.hw.ac.uk/researchleaders for further information and how
to apply.

registered under charity number SC000278.