Re: st: Formally comparing Tobit and Probit estimates

From   Alfonso Sanchez-Penalver <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Formally comparing Tobit and Probit estimates
Date   Wed, 22 Jan 2014 10:09:49 -0500

Hi all,

My two cents in this discussion, and I leave it then to more capable and knowledgeable fellows. As Marteen says when estimating a Tobit model the likelihood of the zero observations is the probability that the latent variable is less or equal to zero. However, under the Tobit for the non-zero observations is the probability that the latent variable actually has the value we observe. The probit model has the same likelihood for the zero observations (except for the scaling, easily resolved), but the likelihood for the nonzero observations would be that they are greater than zero, and this is the point that Kit is trying to make, I believe. I have to agree with Kit that the difference in the coefficients must be then more than a question of scale, because in the Tobit estimation we have actual non-zero values for estimation.

Best,

Alfonso Sanchez-Penalver