Re: st: Create tables in stata

From   Torsten Häberle <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Create tables in stata
Date   Tue, 21 Jan 2014 11:00:55 +0100

Sorry Nick! Again:

    Date        Firms        Firm value      Industry Code
1 Jan 85
2 Jan 85
3 Jan 85      FirmX            2                  9304
4 Jan 85
5 Jan 85      FirmY            4                  2342

I wanna create the following table:

year    NF     AFV     TFV   NDI    NSI

1985    2         3           6       2         0
1986
1987
1988
1989

NF = Number of Firms in year 1985 (count the "names").
AFV = Average firm value in 1985 (4+2/2 = 3)
TFV = Total firm value in 1985 (4+2=6)
NDI = Number of different Industry Codes (two different industry codes
in '85 = 2)
NSI = Number of same Industry Codes in '85 = 0, because they are not the same

2014/1/21 Nick Cox <[email protected]>:
> I think you're assuming some knowledge of business definitions here.
> This list cuts across people of all disciplines (and of none).
>
> Also, if your data value really is "2 Mio." that can only be a string
> value, and you will have a hard time summarizing the corresponding
> variable numerically.
>
> Broadly, the easiest way to approach this by thinking that you will
> get some of the way by a -collapse, by(year)-. But some of the columns
> in your table will have to be created before you -collapse-.
> Nick
> [email protected]
>

> On 21 January 2014 09:35, Torsten Häberle <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Sorry, the table is bad. Again:
>>
>> DailyDate     IPO            Offering value      SIC Code
>> 1 Jan 85
>> 2 Jan 85
>> 3 Jan 85      Firm X          2 Mio.                   9304
>> 4 Jan 85
>> 5 Jan 85      Firm Y          4 Mio.                    2342
>>
>> I wanna create the following table:
>>
>> year  No. of IPOs     Average           Total           No. of diff.   No. of
>>                               offering value offering value    SIC
>>     same SIC
>> 1985    2 (X&Y)           3 Mio.            6 Mio.              2
>>           0
>> 1986
>> 1987
>> 1988
>> 1989
>>         Count firm names
>>        (One name=One IPO)
>>

>> 2014/1/21 Torsten Häberle <[email protected]>:
>>> Hey guys,
>>>
>>> I am about to create my first table in Stata. Would appreciate some
>>> starting help!
>>> I have daily data and want to create a table that kind of summarizes
>>> the data by year. It looks like this:
>>>
>>> DailyDate     IPO            Offering value      SIC Code
>>> 1 Jan 85
>>> 2 Jan 85
>>> 3 Jan 85      Firm X          2 Mio.                   9304
>>> 4 Jan 85
>>> 5 Jan 85      Firm Y          4 Mio.                    2342
>>>
>>> I wanna create the following table:
>>>
>>> year          Number of IPOs          Average             Total
>>>          No. of different     No. of
>>>                                                   offering value
>>> offering value            SIC                same SIC
>>> 1985                  2 (X&Y)                   3 Mio.              6
>>> Mio.                        2                   0
>>> 1986
>>> 1987
>>> 1988