st: Data Management Question

From   "SEVIGNY, ERIC" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Data Management Question
Date   Fri, 17 Jan 2014 02:55:10 +0000

I have data of the following form coding state, a unique crash id (stcase), a sequential vehicle number involved in the crash (vehno), and the moving violations assessed (mviolatn). I would like to create a new variable in wide format for each non-unique combination of state, stcase, and vehno. Crash code 80007 is instructive here, where I would like to reshape the data with new variables mvioltn1...mvioltn6 coding each separate infraction. The rest of the shown cases would have mvioltn1 filled in with the indicated value and missing for the remainder. How can I accomplish this data management task?

Thanks,

Eric Sevigny

state	stcase	vehno	mviolatn
6	62636	1	0