Re: st: puzzling semi-elasticity from margins

Subject   Re: st: puzzling semi-elasticity from margins
Date   Thu, 16 Jan 2014 14:41:17 -0500

Dimitriy V. Masterov <[email protected]>:
You can't really assess dy/dx because your regression is not a model
of how y changes with x but how the conditional mean of y changes with
x.  So you can assess
dE[y|x]/dx
assuming you have a good model of the conditional mean in your
regression.  Then the semielasticity eydx would be
dE[y|x]/dx * (1/E[y|x]).

Make sense?