st: Assign fiscal-year end values to previous 365 days/12 months

From   miriam geringer <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Assign fiscal-year end values to previous 365 days/12 months
Date   Thu, 16 Jan 2014 10:11:29 +0100

Hi guys,

I have CRSP stock return data on a daily basis over a period of 30 years.
On the other hand, I have annual firm data from Compustat.

Each firm has a different fiscal-year end. The fiscal-year end can be the
last day of each month, depending on firm.

What I want to do now is the following: Assign the annual data (the
fiscal-year end data) to all previous twelve months. Basically, assume that
the data from the last day of the fiscal-year is valid for the entire
previous twelve months.

For example, on fiscal-year end, I have the following values (assume fiscal
year-end is 31 August 2010):
- Earnings-per-share
- Common/Ordinary Equity

Now I want to assign these values of 31 August 2010 to the previous twelve
months on a daily basis. Basically that I have Earnings-per-share and
Common equity values for the 365 days prior to 31 August 2010. In our
example, this means that I have between 1 September 2009 and 30 August 2010
the same values as on 31 August 2010. The fiscal-year end value is a proxy
for the previous twelve months.

So far, all days during the fiscal-year, except the last one, have missing
values, which need to be replaced.

Does anyone know how I could do that?
Variables I have:
- Firm identifier (PERMNO) (1000 different firms with each 30-years daily
data)
- Earnings per share on fiscal-year-end
- Common/Ordinary equity on fiscal-year-end
- Also, I calculated dofd (daily numerical variable), mofd (monthly
numerical variable) and yofd (annual numerical variable) if that's helpful

It has to be something like:
If there is a value on fiscal-year-end for firm X, copy that value to the
previous 365 days.

Thanks