st: visualize -svy : tab x y-

Subject   st: visualize -svy : tab x y-
Date   Wed, 15 Jan 2014 13:10:43 -0600

Folks,

Suppose I want to visualize something like

webuse nhanes2, clear
svy : tab race hlthstat, se row

in a way similar to what -marginsplot- does.

The first natural idea that I thought of was to run

svy: proportion hlthstat, over(race)

only to discover that -margins- does not support -proportion-
(although this seems like a no-brainer for -margins- to work on --
just redisplay verbatim what -proportion- did).

My next step was to try

svy : mlogit hlthstat i.race

which essentially is a weird way to compute the log odds ratios
against a given category. Now, -margins- does work, but it only gives
the proportions for a single outcome, like hlthstat==1, and I cannot
seem to find a way to produce several margins over several equations
(although that makes perfect sense for -mlogit-), and hence plot them
with -marginsplot- afterwards. In -marginsplot- terms, this could be
something like a dimension to plot over, so may be another possible
-dimlist- could be equations in a multi-equation command. (Consider
this a feature request!)

I am sure the question of how to visualize the cross-tabs is not that
far-fetched, so there should be something Phil Enders or Michael
Mitchell have produced... that I am missing here. There was a
discussion as far back as 2006
(http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2006-09/msg00506.html), but
-margins- is a much later development, as far as I can recall, so the
ways to adapt -margins- may have been discovered since then.

-- Stas Kolenikov, PhD, PStat (ASA, SSC)
-- Senior Survey Statistician, Abt SRBI
-- Opinions stated in this email are mine only, and do not reflect the
position of my employer
-- http://stas.kolenikov.name