st: RE: Can I put different variables in the two stages of ivregress 2sls?

Subject   st: RE: Can I put different variables in the two stages of ivregress 2sls?
Date   Mon, 13 Jan 2014 11:08:12 +0000

Xiaofei,

No, you can't, and it's because of the definition of the IV/2SLS estimator.  It is a single-equation limited-information estimator, and the definition of the estimator implies that if you use the (rather old-fashioned) 2-stage method of calculating it, you must include *everything* exogenous in the first step.

Another way to put it is that you don't want to do single-equation limited-information estimation at all.  In standard IV/2SLS, the first stage is just a calculation step - it doesn't necessarily have a structural interpretation.  But you want the "first stage" to be a structural equation and exclude an exogenous regressor from it because your model says it shouldn't be there.  In that case, you want to use a system estimator such as Stata's -reg3- or -sem- so that you can estimate both of your structural equations.

There is a Statalist FAQ on this point here:

http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/statistics/instrumental-variables-regression/

And FYI the question comes up on Statalist from time to time:

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2009-06/msg00653.html

HTH,
Mark

> Thanks a lot.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Xiaofei

-----
Sunday Times Scottish University of the Year 2011-2013
Top in the UK for student experience
Fourth university in the UK and top in Scotland (National Student Survey 2012)

We invite research leaders and ambitious early career researchers to
join us in leading and driving research in key inter-disciplinary themes.
Please see www.hw.ac.uk/researchleaders for further information and how
to apply.

registered under charity number SC000278.