RE: st: Binary variable (create a flag) in STATA and deleting variables

From   Joe Canner <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Binary variable (create a flag) in STATA and deleting variables
Date   Sun, 12 Jan 2014 23:02:09 +0000

John,

The answer to your second question is no, if you use the value of one variable to create another variable, dropping or changing the original variable will not change the derived variable.  Commands in Stata are run on all observations in the dataset (subject of course to any if/in conditions used in the command) before moving on the next command.

Regards,
Joe
From: [email protected] [[email protected]] on behalf of Alfonso Sánchez-Peñalver [[email protected]]
Sent: Sunday, January 12, 2014 5:36 PM
To: Stata List
Subject: Re: st: Binary variable (create a flag) in STATA and deleting variables

Hi,

to generate the binary variable you just need to write one command, but it will have to have all codes. Thus

gen cancer = (medicalcode == "88zuu00" | medicalcode == "25C5.00" | etc.)

where etc will be a series of medicalcode == to the different codes that reflect cancer. I am not sure I understand the second question you ask.

Best,

Alfonso Sanchez-Penalver