Re: Interpolation [was: Re: st: From: Sadia Khalid ...]

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: Interpolation [was: Re: st: From: Sadia Khalid ...]
Date   Thu, 9 Jan 2014 14:25:13 -0500

interpolation, I agree with Nick's discussion.

Whether interpolation is on a firmer basis than extrapolation depends
on the process underlying the data and on our understanding of that
process.  Whenever the data involve missing observations, it is
important to investigate the process(es) that caused those
observations to be missing.  It may be necessary to model the
missing-data process and also the process underlying the non-missing
data.  As I mentioned earlier, issues of missing data have a large
literature.  A number of questions remain open, and no single approach
is appropriate in all situations.  Creating data (imputation) involves
assumptions, some of which are easier to check than others.

I could see interpolation (done in more than one way) as a form of
sensitivity analysis.

David Hoaglin