Re: st: Census/Demographics Datasets

From   "Robert O'Reilly" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Census/Demographics Datasets
Date   Mon, 6 Jan 2014 11:54:12 -0500

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 4:15 AM, Michael Stewart
<[email protected]> wrote:

> It worked!!.
>  Thank you very much for your time.  Obviously, I couldnt have written
> that code!.
> I never expected that stata could copy/download and unzip too .
> I think, I can take it from here.  Thank you again  for your time.

While the interface may not well-suited for your purposes, there is
the National Historical Geographic Information System project at the
University of Minnesota, which will let you create extracts of data
from the Decennial Census, the American Community Survey, and other
Census Bureau data collections.  When you are creating the extracts
(which you can filter by combinations of time period, geographic
level, data source, and topic), you have the option of getting the
data in either delimited form or fixed-width form with separate syntax
files for importing the data into SAS, SPSS, or Stata.  The NHGIS is
freely available upon  registration, and may be easier to work with
than the files that the Census Bureau provides.

There is also Social Explorer, which is a subscription-only interface
for accessing Census data and which will also export data into
Stata-friendly formats, and which is also much easier to use than is
the American FactFinder (although it doesn't include all the data
accessible in the FactFinder such as the Economic Census).

FYI, etc.

Rob
--
Robert O'Reilly, Ph.D.