Re: re: st: Ocratio gives neither AIC nor BIC

From   Marcos Almeida <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: re: st: Ocratio gives neither AIC nor BIC
Date   Wed, 1 Jan 2014 11:56:22 -0200

Hello Phil and all Statalisters,

Dear Phil, thank you very much for your reply and for the suggestions.
Also, for the research done on heart rate variability. Regarding
pnn50, as I underlined, we're dealing with long-run (24 h) "real-life"
electrocardiogram, and it represents the mean value for all the
period. Therefore, it's different from the registers we'd take in 15
minutes, having patients resting on a lit. There is no standard for
the elderly population and my aim is to shed some light on the changes
of this variable according to the age groups, taking into
consideration a few covariates.

The "problem" was: there were many outliers and I feared we'd rather
not just "dismiss" them. For many reasons, let alone the very fact we
still don't have the standard for the elderly population, particularly
within 24 h reports.

I absolutely agree with your and David's recommendations, and I guess,
to some extent,  as I mentioned, they were put into practice,
including the log-transformation and the checking of residuals. To may
dismay, I'm afraid these deeds weren't enough to cope with such a huge
variation. That prompted me to accept losing some information by
employing the quartiles, but having as a reward a much
"representative" estimation. Or "stable', if you will.

So I first-in-time "plunged" into a whole bunch of multinomial
response models. Unfortunately, the assumption of proportional odds
didn't favour the ordered logit model. Nor the IIA assumption favoured
the multinomial logit model. Then I tested the generalized ordered
outcome model, and the adjustments for the partial proportional odds
pleased me most. I did this by installing the user-written gologit2
and adding in the Stata command the option "autofit". The reason was
the fact that some covariates didn't violate the proportional-odds
assumption, so I found it reasonable to keep their regression
coefficients without restrictions.

By the way, I guess I dutifully abided by the instructions in the book
I mentioned: Generalized Linear Models and Extensions, Hardin and
Hilbe, Stata Press, third edition, 2012.

Indeed, no  sooner after reading in the book the chapter on
continuation-ratio, then I decided to give it a try, and compare with
my "collection" of AICs and BICs from the models hitherto evaluated.

I installed the user-written command ocratio as suggested in pages
339-344. According to the reports presented in the book, we'd easily
get the AIC by just typing "aic" after the estimation. It didn't
happen so, though. Not even when typing "estat ic", or, else, after
installing the user-written "fitstat". All I got was the message in
red: "estimates not found".

Since my software is a weekly uptaded Stata 13 IC, and I gather the
version from the above-mentioned book might well be Stata 11 or 12, I
decided to share this "situation" in the Statalist, may it perchance
be some kind of troubleshooting.

Hopefully you will give me some further advice on how to endly get the
AIC after ocratio.

Thank you again for all the consideration and thoughtful suggestions!

Have all Statalisters an excellent 2014!

Best regards,

Marcos Almeida
Associate Professor of Medicine
UNIT