Re: st: Ocratio gives neither AIC nor BIC

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Ocratio gives neither AIC nor BIC
Date   Sat, 28 Dec 2013 21:14:43 -0500

Dear Marcos,

I have not seen any replies so far to your posting.  Perhaps I can
make a start, though I have more questions than answers.

I did not see any information on your dependent variable, other than
that it is continuous and very positively skewed.  It would help me
(and it may help others) to know more about the nature of that
variable.

Skewness of the dependent variable, considered alone, does not
necessarily prevent you from using it in a regression model.  It is
more important to examine (e.g., in scatterplots) the relation between
the dependent variable and each of the predictor variables.  Some of
those relations may account for the apparent skewness.  After fitting
an initial model, you should examine the residuals.  The various plots
may suggest that you transform the dependent variable (e.g., to a
logarithmic scale).

A GLM is a common alternative to using a transformation, but I don't
understand why you chose the logit link.  With a continuous dependent
variable, I would have expected a log link.

I will stop here.  The rest of your analysis goes in a direction whose
logic I do not understand.

David Hoaglin