st: Chi^2 Output Interpretation

From   Ngozi Adeleye <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Chi^2 Output Interpretation
Date   Thu, 19 Dec 2013 14:05:38 +0000

Hi Statalisters,

I'm a rookie, a new user barely 4wks old, my lecturer tried teaching
us the basics, but we all have to figure most of it by ourselves. I've
gone online watched Stata videos everyday for the past 3wks and
downloaded stuffs.....but I still need help!!

I have this Chi^2 output but don't know how to interpret the result.

Question: For the following pairs of variables test whether they are
independent:     Are blacks associated with marriage?

command:                tab black married, chi

Result:                    Pearson chi2(1) = 0.2506               Pr =
0.617

Please help me out.
Ngozi